Job Announcement: Executive Director
The Montana Outdoor Science School (MOSS) is seeking new Executive Director. MOSS promotes awareness, understanding and appreciation of the natural world through quality educational experiences. MOSS provides school programs throughout southwestern Montana, summer camps, and participates in a variety of community oriented festivals and other science education-related programs.
In 1994, three Bozeman mothers started a summer camp with the goal of creating fun, hands-on nature experiences for children. Armed with experience as educators, mediators, scientists, authors and moms, the trio shared a vision that our lives are enriched when we have a greater understanding of our natural surroundings. Today, what was a summer camp has grown into an organization that offers year-round outdoor science courses to elementary and middle schools throughout Montana. As MOSS celebrates 24 years, the founders' vision is even more compelling. For more information on MOSS, please visit: outdoorscience.org
Duties and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Raising the funds necessary to meet MOSS’ annual budget, through grantwriting, donor events and outreach, fund appeals, and other means.
- Overseeing MOSS programs, including school programs, summer camps, fundraisers, and festivals.
- Supervising a team of staff and instructors.
- Adhering to the elements of the strategic vision of the organization.
- Developing and overseeing communications and marketing.
- Serving as the organization’s primary spokesperson and being the “face” of the organization.
- Engaging in the administration, financial management, and day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Building and maintaining relationships with donors, volunteers, partners, the board of directors, and other key stakeholders.
Successful candidates will have the following strengths and experience:
- Demonstrated non-profit leadership experience.
- Strong track record in multiple facets of fundraising.
- Experience in financial management, including preparing and adhering to budgets.
- Passion for outdoor education.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in staff supervision, volunteer management, and working with boards of directors.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and passionate leader with a commitment to and understanding of environmental education. The candidate will be independent and self-motivated, and an outstanding communicator. The willingness to empower MOSS staff is important, and a genial and cooperative approach to management and maintaining an upbeat workplace is vital.
The salary is dependent on experience. MOSS offers a competitive salary and benefits package. MOSS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. The position is full-time and is based in Bozeman, Montana.
Candidates should submit a résumé and a cover letter explaining how your skills and experience match the job description to: MOSSDirectorSearch@gmail.com. No telephone calls, please. Important: This is an administrative position that requires fundraising expertise. It does not involve teaching.
Check back for summer instructor openings for 2018! Keep in touch by "liking" us on Facebook and referring back to this site often.
If you are interested in volunteering for events with MOSS, please contact Liz Green: firstname.lastname@example.org.